.

.

Monday, February 27, 2012

My Day with Frida at LACMA

My first post! Yay! So I thought I would start by sharing a trip I took our international students on for work. We went to Los Angeles for the day this last Saturday, and spent time exploring museums, The Grove shopping center, and nearby Farmers Market. Lots of inspiration for craftiness all over the place!

So I knew Saturday would be a good day with a lot of great things to check out, but I didn't realize just how awesome of a day it would be.

"Las Dos Fridas," by Frida Kahlo 

 LACMA has an AMAZING exhibit right now called "In Wonderland," that features some wonderful Surrealist female artists from the easy to mid 1900's. and Frida was one of them! I was so ridiculously excited to see Friday artworks in real life. I stared at this painting for so long, I think the guard that was keeping watch over it was started to get suspicious I was going to go grab it, or at least hug it. Ha.As you can see, I LOVE Frida, and she is the background of my blog here. The crazy awesome painting of her with the Daft Punk shirt was done by an artist named Fab Ciraolo, a Chilean artist. He is for sure worth checking out.


EPIC! Me with "Self-portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird"

If you haven't seen the film "Frida" with Salma Hayek, I highly recommend it. The super hot Salma Hayek does a flipping' amazing job playing Frida. Frida had so much pain and grief in her life, and I loved how Hayek portrayed her. 
"Frieda y Diego Rivera"

Frida's paintings, badass as they were, were only one highlight of my day. We saw prints by Andy Warhol, and paintings by Pablo Picasso. LACMA is huge, and there was no way I was going to get through all of the exhibits in one day. So it looks like I need to make a return trip w/the boyfriend in tow this time!! :-)


A selection of my favorite pieces from the day:
by Rosa Rolanda
Andy Warhol!
Monet
not sure who this artist is, but the whole "balloon animal" is made out of aluminum!

Picasso

My day continued with nom nom nommy lunch at a Korean bbq food truck. Pork spare ribs burrito. Yum!
Food truck city on Miracle Mile!



My next stop! OMG I loved this museum so much! Craft and Folk Art Museum.
Sadly, I could't take any pics inside. Lame! But there were a couple of awesome exhibits and a sweet gift shop. I picked up a papel picado mat, kinda of a foam-like texture, It's now in the middle of my dining table underneath a vase with dried flowers. Perhaps it is photo-worthy. :-) Coming soon then... Also, I bought the cutest little ceramic bowl with pictures of owls all over it, and a bookmark made of some sot of Mexican paper that the man working in the gift shop told me he collects. No se. Must be badass though if someone actually collects it. Haha. And in front of CAFAM...


Yarn bombing in action! I was super excited to see this! Of course I'd seen pics online, but never out on the street! It was cool. Maybe I'll try to find some Inland Empire Yarnbombing group to join. lol.


And my last stop! "The Original Farmers Market." I wish I had been going straight home after this trip, because there was tons of delicious looking fresh food to buy but I could not get any! I did get a baguette sandwich and Nutella crepe though. So eh, I guess the grocery shopping can wait until next time. 


Oh! And I got this nom-alicious hibiscus and peach iced tea. SO GOOD! There's this small tea shop that I really wanted to buy some loose tea from but I just couldn't make up my mind. They had so many types!




The Travel Angel. So perfect for the group of students that I went with. 
Maps and stamps decorate the wings. Perfect!


And lastly, to end my supah awesome day, the BF and I went to the Honda Center in Anaheim to see...



HEART! I LOVE HEART! And BF seemed to enjoy the concert too. 
Making it even more enjoyable, was knowing that we got a great deal on Groupon! Woohoo!
I love Groupon. Check that shiz out if you haven't yet.

So I will leave you with some classic rock badassness from Heart...


-Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment