.

.

Monday, April 6, 2015

Land of Enchantment- Part 3



Photo-heavy post ahead! Our New Mexico trip was a few months ago at this point, but we saw such awesome sights that I still really want to post some photos. So these photos are from two consecutive days we spent in New Mexico, mostly around the historic town/area of La Mesilla, and El Paso, Texas, pretty much just doing some fun touristy things!


Mesilla was known as kind of an old western town, a hangout for Billy the Kid and other outlaws and also as first a Mexican-held area and after the end of the Mexican-American war, U.S. land. I majored in Chicana/o Studies, so I really enjoy learning about both Mexican-American history as well as Native American history. There was a cool little bookstore with tons of books about the history of the local area. Sadly I didn't buy any, but I did get some pics so I can look for them on Amazon later- wish I could support local businesses all the time but I gotta pay rent too!

We wandered through the shops and checked out some great stuff. Lots of sugar skulls which of course I love. Tons of food items with pecans too- there are SO MANY pecan orchards around the area. My grandma has a handful of them in her backyard! Yummy stuff they make and sell too- brittle, cookies, pies, candy. The trees are pretty spooky lookign in the winter time though, because it's right at the end of harvesting season so almost all of the trees are bare and actually kinda dead looking. They're full and green in the summer though.

Our day in El Paso was spent mostly at The Saddleblanket- a massive warehouse of gifts, glassware, blankets (obvi), and decorative Mexican items and Native-American inspired items. I bought some of the stuff that was made in Mexico, but the "Native" items were made in India. The heck? No thank you. I'd rather support actual Native artists rather than buy mass-produced stuff.

At the end of this day, we had some real Texas bbq, the standout item for me being the pulled pork.OHMAHGAH!! It was DELICIOUS. My sister and I hoarded the leftovers the next day because we really, really did not want to share it. Haha. 

With no more delays, here are my photos!





These red chile ristras always remind me of New Mexico. How awesome looking is this stand?


Bare and creepy looking pecan trees




Goofing around by an awesome teal window

Great looking shop in an old building- we bought a delicious pecan pie here

Actual historic site... now a gift shop

Daaaaang! That was some cold weather for us So-Cal people!



Umm I think I'll take... ALL OF THEM!

This one too please


Can ya tell we like to goof around?

He was quite proud of this photo lol

I thought the strings of boots were so cool

He even left the state with his own genuine pair of cowboys boots

The brisket was good

THE PULLED PORK WAS THE BEST

Rudy's BBQ

Doesn't he just fit right in?

1 comment:

  1. Hey there,

    I just stumbled upon your blog and have enjoyed reading some of the older posts, especially the Day of the Dead one. We are a small, boutique, handmade company based in Australia producing laser cut products. We have had a lot of success recently with our Sugar Skull light boxes/candle holders and just wondered if you could feature them on your blog to give us a bit of love! We have sold and delivered about 20 of them in the last couple of months over to the States - California, Texas, Illinois and New Mexico. Anyway, take a look and if you like them, please feel free to post, distribute images, tell your friends and order if you like! Here's a link to our Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/madebyloveaustralia

    ReplyDelete