.

.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

DIY Canvas Art to Beautify My Bare Wall

Our bedroom wall is bare no more!

So we have lived in our apartment for at least 9 months now, and sad to say,
I have had an empty wall above the bed this whole time.
*hangs head in shame*
I HATE plain white walls! Argh!
I was just super indecisive about what I wanted on our bedroom wall.
I knew I didn't want to pay a lot of money though, and I wanted something that wasn't just a
mass-produced thing as the focus in our room.
So, I pieced together different ideas and cool things I found online,
and came up with...


TA DAH!

It's pretty simple, but I like it a lot  :-) Bf likes it too!
I borrowed lyrics from the awesome Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros song, Home.

So how did I do it? Lemme show you...




These "Home" lyrics are pretty popular with projects like this.
I've seen a lot of cool things on Pinterest using this same quote.
So I guess it's not super original anymore, but I love it all the same. <3

So first I put down some masking tape in a chevron pattern. 
I didn't really do any measurement, just kinda eyeballed it.



I used the super inexpensive Craft Smart paint from Michael's
(2 for 50 cents! woot woot!)
in dark grey and island blue.
I love shades of blue and green, and this turquoise-ish color is awesome.



I think I did 3 layers of paint.
After 3 layers it seemed covered pretty well.



I used these stencils by Martha Stewart.
I liked the end result, but some of the letters had little bitty pieces and corners,
that kinda just ended up blending together.
Maybe I painted too fast. I dunno. :-P Heavy, impatient hands I guess. Haha.



 I taped down the edges of the stencils as I went along.



Here it is finished! 
For the bottom hearts, I just used a Martha Stewart paper punch to make a stencil.



It's fairly small, but I'm planning to put up a few more things next to the canvas.



Here you can see the size better above our queen size bed.
And you can see my cool Julius pillow. Hee hee.



I am joining Liz Marie's Linky Party with this post,
so if you find me through her party, Awesome!
And Welcome! :-D

I'm hoping to be there every Friday!

Liz Marie Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment